Online shopping sales are an exciting time filled with tempting discounts and great deals. But understanding the terminology around different discounts can get confusing for customers. This positive and upbeat guide clearly explains flat and upto discounts, equipping shoppers to find the best bargains and save more!
What are Flat Discounts?
Flat discounts refer to a fixed percentage or amount deducted from the original maximum retail price (MRP) of a product. For example, a flat 50% discount on a shirt priced at Rs. 1000 means you pay just Rs. 500. How awesome is that!
The wonderful thing about flat discounts is that the percentage remains the same no matter the original price. So you can easily calculate the savings you will get. Flat discounts are usually offered on more high-end, premium products.
Retailers provide flat discounts in appealing ways like:
- Huge markdowns like 50% or 60% off on designer items
- Buy 1 Get 1 Free – get 2 products for the price of 1!
- Free delivery on large appliances and furniture
- Fixed cash discounts like Rs. 2000 off on Rs. 10000 spent
Flat discounts create excitement and joy for shoppers during peak seasons like Diwali, Christmas, etc.
What are Upto Discounts?
Upto discounts indicate the maximum possible saving you can get on a product. For example, ‘Upto 40% Off’ signals discounts can range from 1% to 40% based on the product.
This flexibility allows retailers to customize discounts. A Rs. 1000 shirt may get 30% off i.e. Rs. 300 discount and cost Rs. 700. However, another similar shirt may get the full 40% discount i.e. Rs. 400 off and cost just Rs. 600!
Key positives of upto discounts:
- Varying discounts help clear excess previous season inventory
- Higher discounts push slow selling products
- Attracts shoppers by showcasing maximum possible saving
- Actual discount applicable shown on product page
Upto discounts provide retailers more room to promote different items smartly.
Making Sense of Multiple Discounts
Things get more exciting when retailers use multiple discounts together!
- Flat 10% + Extra 5% Off – Get basic 10% + additional 5% off the already reduced price
- 50% + Rs. 500 Off – Flat 50% first, then extra Rs. 500 off the discounted price
- 1+1 Free + 20% Off – Buy 1 get 1 free, plus 20% off original combined price
Multiple discounts give a big boost of savings that both customers and retailers love!
Some common examples are:
- Flat 10% off + Extra 5% off
- 50% off + Rs. 500 off on Rs. 5000 spend
- Buy 1 Get 1 Free + Extra 20% off
- Flat Rs. 1000 off + No cost EMI option
Multiple discounts increase the excitement and provide even more value to delighted shoppers.
When are These Discounts Available?
- Flat discounts – Festive sales, brand sales, clearance sales
- Upto discounts – Annual sales, weekly/monthly promos to clear stock
- Multiple discounts – Peak sale seasons to drive profits and sales
Some buoyant annual shopping seasons in India are:
- Republic Day sales in January
- Holi and Diwali festival sales
- Independence and Gandhi Jayanti sales
- Year-end Christmas and New Year sales
Popular ones like Amazon Great Indian Sale and Flipkart Big Billion Days see huge enthusiasm among shoppers eagerly waiting to score the best deals.
How to Find the Best Bargains?
- Calculate final payable amount after all discounts applicable
- Compare across products and sites
- Look for extra coupons and bank offers
- Read reviews and buy from trusted sellers
- Set price drop alerts for your wishlist items
Some upbeat tips for finding the best deals:
- Check emails/SMS for exclusive personalized deals
- Opt for combo purchases where overall pricing is lower
- Follow social media for real-time sale updates
- Exchange old gadgets for that extra exchange discount
- Sign up on cashback sites like CashKaro
Being an informed, positive shopper will help you find the most amazing discounts!
This upbeat guide equips you to easily identify the best deals by understanding flat versus upto discounts in a positive way. Apply these learnings cheerfully during the next online sale to maximize savings like a pro! Happy Shopping!