Pre-purchase upsell offers, also known as order bumps, are an effective ecommerce strategy for increasing average order value. Displaying targeted upsell offers just before checkout completion can persuade customers to add more items.
What Are Pre-Purchase Upsells and Order Bumps?
Pre-purchase upsells, commonly referred to as order bumps, are additional offers presented to customers immediately before they complete an online order or transaction.
They typically showcase related or complementary products at discounted pricing to incentivize adding them to the cart. For example, a customer buying a T-shirt might be offered a discounted cap as an upsell based on their initial purchase.
Order bumps are a very important part of the ecommerce sales process because of their proven potential to increase the average order value of customers. Displaying targeted upsells right when the customer is ready to checkout catches them in a decisive frame of mind and persuades impulse purchases.
Just a small bump of $5, $10 or $15 per order can significantly impact revenue at scale while providing more value to customers. Next, we’ll explore how to easily add them.
Installing the Checkout Upsells Plugin
The Checkout Upsells plugin by FlyCart allows you to create highly flexible pre-purchase upsell campaigns for WooCommerce.
To install it:
- Get the plugin from FlyCart and install it on your WordPress site.
- Activate the plugin.
- You’ll find it under the “Campaigns” menu item in your dashboard sidebar.
Now let’s look at creating an upsell campaign.
Adding a New Pre-Purchase Upsell Campaign
Within the Checkout Upsells dashboard page, adding a new campaign is simple:
- Click the “Create New Campaign” button.
- Select the Campaign Type as “Pre-Purchase Upsell”.
- Give your campaign an intuitive name like “Accessories Upsell”
- Configure the upsell offer settings covered next.
- Click Save and Close to activate the campaign.
Now let’s go through how to set up the actual upsell offer.
Configuring the Upsell Offer Settings
After naming your campaign, you can define the upsell offer:
- Offer Product – Select the product to showcase as the upsell
- Quantity – Optional quantity limit, can leave as unlimited
- Discount – Percentage or fixed amount off for the offer item
- Usage Limits – Caps per customer or in total if desired
- Display Location – Where offer appears on the checkout page
This configures the core upsell. But you can further customize the content and design.
Customizing the Upsell Content and Styling
The plugin provides options to customize your upsell display:
- Template Contents – Edit all text, add images, modify HTML etc.
- Template Styling – Choose different style templates or use custom CSS.
- Display Method – Randomize or show all upsells if multiple configured
This allows you to tailor the upsell presentation to match your branding.
Setting Conditional Rules for Targeting
The most powerful feature is setting conditional rules to target your upsell offer:
- Display when certain products, categories, attributes etc. are in the cart
- Limit by customer purchase history or other attributes
- Schedule dates for campaigns
- Set priority if running multiple campaigns
Intelligent targeting is crucial – analyze your data for insights on what upsells work best for different segments.
Previewing and Activating the Upsell
Once configured, you can preview how the upsell will appear directly in the editor.
When ready, click Save and Close to activate the campaign and offer. Test it by proceeding through checkout in your store.
Tips for Maximizing Upsell Effectiveness
Some tips to maximize the impact of your pre-purchase upsell campaigns:
- Test different upsell locations like before/after payment methods
- Use scarcity elements like “Only 2 left at this price!”
- Offer sufficient discounts to capitalize on the impulse
- Ensure complementary products – e.g. batteries with electronics
- Limit to 1-2 upsells max to avoid choice paralysis
- A/B test different upsell offers and target segments
- Monitor performance and tweak campaigns to continually improve
With smart targeting and testing, order bumps can become a significant revenue channel.
Why Pre-Purchase Upsells Work So Effectively
Some of the reasons properly executed order bumps work so well include:
- Customers are maximally committed just before finalizing a purchase
- Adding one more discounted item requires minimal effort
- Upsells increase average order value from existing traffic
- Targeted offers feel like personalized recommendations
- Order bumps utilize the powerful impulse response
- Small incremental revenue on each order adds up over time
Overall, strategically presenting upsell offers right at the point of checkout is a proven tactic for boosting sales.
- How to Use the Discount Rules Plugin to Create Different Discount Types?
- AAWP vs AmaLinks Pro for Amazon Affiliates In 2023
- FlyCart Review 2023
- FlyCart Alternatives 2023
- WooCommerce Checkout Field Manager by Themehigh
- Variation Swatches Plugin By Themehigh Setup Tutorial
Adding pre-purchase upsells or order bumps on the WooCommerce checkout page using the Checkout Upsells plugin is an easy way to materially increase average order value and revenue.
Once installed, you can:
- Easily create new upsell campaigns
- Configure discounted upsell offers and customize them
- Set conditional rules to target offers to specific customers
- Activate campaigns and monitor performance over time
With intelligent offer targeting and continual optimization, pre-purchase upsells provide an excellent return on investment.